John Surla's Squab Stir Fry
Chef John Surla, proprietor & Executive Chef of Fina’s in Ripon CA, prepares his signature Squab Stir Fry. Watch to learn how Chef Surla puts an upscale spin on this classic Asian dish and then try it for yourself.
Active Time: 30 Min
Total Time: 1 HR
- 6 King Cal Deboned Double Breasted Squab
- 1 TBS. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
Stir Fry Vegetables:
- 3 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oi.
- 2 cup Shitake Mushrooms, No Stems, Sliced
- ½ lb Green Beans, Clean ends off, Cut in Half
- 2 ea Zucchini, Green, Cut in half lengthwise, slice in half moons
- ½ lb Brussel Sprouts, Cut in half, Blanched in Hot water for 1 min, then Ice Bath
- 1 cup Carrots, peeled, sliced on bias
- 1 TBS Garlic, Minced
- 1 TBS Shallots, Minced
- ½ cup Hoisin Sauce
- ½ cup Plum Sauce
How to Make It
Preheat the Grill on High temperature
In a non-stick Wok, Saute the Veggies with the Olive Oil, starting with Mushrooms for a minute, then adding the Green Beans, Zucchini, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots. Stir Fry for 2 minutes
Then add the Garlic and Shallots. (Reserve a ¼ cup of Hoisin Plum Sauce to baste Squab on the grill) Deglaze pan with Hoisin & Plum Sauces. Stir fry and reduce all the water out until stir fry is thicken by sauce.
Rinse & pat the squab dry.
Lightly rub squab with olive oil and seasoning mix.
Place squab breast side down on Grill.
Grill at 10 o’clock for 4 Mins then turn to 2 o’clock for 4 mins, then flip over and repeat procudure, until squab reaches 145 degrees. Using the reserved Hoisin Plum Sauce, baste the squab with a Pastry Brush until Squab is coated with Hoisin Plum Sauce. Remove from the Grill and let rest for 5 min.
Serve warm with Stir Fry Veggies on the Bottom and Sliced Squab Fanned out on top of Veggies.