John Surla's Grilled Squab Skewers
With Red Bell Pepper, Onion &Finished with a Balsamic Drizzle
Chef John Surla, proprietor & Executive Chef of Fina’s in Ripon Ca, takes a classic summertime dish and kicks it up a notch using California Squab. These versatile squab skewers can be served at a backyard BBQ or plated with garnish for a formal dinner party.
Active Time: 30 Min
Total Time: 1 HR
- 6 each Fresh Squab, Breast, Skin on, 1 inch diced
- 2 each Red Bell Peppers, 1 inch diced
- 1 each Red Onion, 1 inch diced
- 2 Tbs. Balsamic Reduction
- ½ cup Sciabica Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 sprigs Rosemary, leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs Thyme, leaves, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, Peeled, Minced
- 1 each Shallot, Peeled, Minced
- 1 tsp. Balsamic Glaze
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- 6 each wooded skewers, soaked in water
How to Make It
Step 1: Prep
Assemble the prep by skewing 1st the red onion, 2nd bell pepper, 3rd squab, repeat process one more time.
Step 2: Marinade
Add the chopped herbs, garlic, shallots, and olive oil in a bowl and mix together.
Add to squab skewers.
Step 3: Grill
On a hot and clean grill, season skewers with salt and pepper and grill on your grill for 3 minutes on each side, until med-rare.
Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
Drizzle with a balsamic glaze, and serve.