John Surla's Squab Agnolotti
With a Rich Sage Nage Sauce
Chef John Surla, proprietor & Executive Chef of Fina’s in Ripon Ca, takes us into his home and shows us how to prepare a rich, flavorful agnolotti filled with fresh herbs, cheeses, and California Squab. – Squab Agnolotti with a Sage Nage Sauce.
Active Time: 45 Min
Total Time: 1 HR
- 2 each Squab Breasts, Grilled with Salt and Pepper, Ground in a Food Processor
- 3 each 2 foot Fresh Pasta Sheets, #2 thickness on your pasta machine
- 1 clove Garlic, Fresh, Peeled
- ½ each Shallot, Fresh, Peeled
- 1 sprig Thyme, Fresh, Leaves
- ¼ cup Ricotta Cheese, Grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan-Reggiano, Grated
Sage Nage Sauce:
- 1 tsp. Fresh Garlic, Minced
- 1 tsp. Fresh Shallots, Minced
- 1 tsp. Fresh Sage, Leaves, Chiffonade Cut
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- ½ cup White Wine
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Fiscalini Black Truffle Cheese
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- ½ bag Spinach, Cleaned
- 10 each Squab Agnolotti or Ravioli Pasta
- 1 tsp. White Truffle Oil
- 1 Tb. Fresh Shaved Black Truffle’s
How to Make It
Step 1: Make The Pasta
Grind all ingredients in a Food Processor and Season with Salt and Pepper.
Egg Wash Pasta Dough, pipe 1 inch of filling every 3 inches, them fold pasta dough over the top, burp dough until sealed, then cut with pasta cutter.
In a thick bottom pot, saute the garlic, shallots, sage, in butter till lightly brown
Deglaze pan with white wine.
Reduce to almost nothing, then add heavy cream.
Reduce slowly to half, then add grated Fiscalini Black Truffle Cheese.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Boil the Agnolotti’s in salted boiling water until they float to the top, about 5 mins.
Strain agnolotti’s into sauce, add spinach.
Place agnolotti’s in the middle of the plate. Sauce and spinach on top and around the plate.
Grate some Black Truffles on Top and drizzle White Truffle Oil.